Monday, November 13, 2017

Instant Pot Venison Roast

We love venison. It's a great, iron-packed, lean meat, but it can be difficult to cook. I always struggled with getting that perfect venison roast. You know, the one that's tender and flavorful. My hubby isn't a fan of roasts normally so I usually cut mine up into "steaks" for slow cooker carne asada or into cubes for peppery beef sandwiches.
My aunt came and stayed with us for a few days and brought a venison roast as my uncle is trying to get the freezer cleaned out before hunting season begins again. I decided to make it for supper one Thursday and wanted to try it in my Instant Pot. It turned out beautifully. Everyone had seconds, which is almost unheard of, and my hubby raved about it.

Here's how I made it.

  • 3-4 pound venison roast
  • 1 envelope onion soup mix
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons worchestershire sauce
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
  • 2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 tablespoon bicentennial seasoning, optional but added a lot of flavor
  • 3-4 tablespoons cornstarch
Directions
  1. Place roast, onion soup mix, broth, worchestershire sauce, salt, pepper, garlic, and becentennial seasoning into your Instant Pot. 
  2. Place the lid on and set on meat/stew setting for 90 minutes. Be sure the lid is set to "sealed" and not "vent".
  3. If you are in a hurry, you can do a quick release. When the cycle finishes, remove the roast to your serving platter and let rest while you prepare the gravy. 
  4. Set the Instant pot to saute and whisk in cornstarch. Continue whisking till gravy thickens. Turn the pot off.
  5. Slice your roast and ladle the gravy over the top. I serve this with mashed potatoes and a vegetable.

No comments:

Post a Comment