Monday, June 22, 2020

S'mores [Layer] Cake

My youngest two girls and I decided we wanted to try something new for dessert on Father's day this year so we came up with this recipe. I made it into a layer cake on the test run, but I would probably go with a simple 9x13, one layer version next time to save time. I may also come up with some other options to make it look a bit prettier in the future.
After making this, I searched online to see if I could put the whole cake under the broiler to give it that toasted look of a roasted marshmallow. I found that you need a cooking torch, but I also saw a s'mores cake recipe that used a graham cracker cake and added whipped chocolate ganache between the layers. I may have to come up with a recipe for graham cracker cake now... 😁
Cake (if you want to make the cake from scratch, too, here is my favorite recipe)

  • 1 box devils food cake mix
  • 1 cup cold coffee
  • 1/3 cup oil
  • 3 eggs
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips
Frosting
  • 1/2 recipe marshmallow fluff or one store-bought package
    (I use this recipe as it gives great tips/tricks on make the fluff. I did add the measurement for using liquid egg whites as a friend gave me 5 containers of it.)
    1/3 cup water
    3/4 cup granulated sugar
    3/4 cup corn syrup or honey
    3 large egg whites (or 4 oz liquid egg whites) room temperature
    1/2 tsp cream of tartar
    1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2-3 graham crackers, crushed (I use a ziptop bag and a meat mallet)
  • melted chocolate to drizzle, optional
Utensils
  • Two 8" round cake pans or a 9"x13"cake pan
  • Stand mixer preferred, but hand mixer required (if making your own marshmallow fluff)
  • Cake plate, if making a layer cake
Directions
  1. Mix the cake mix, coffee, eggs, and oil. Pour into cake pan(s), top with chocolate chips, and bake at 350 degrees F for 24-35 minutes (24-29 with two 8" round pans, or 29-35 with a 9"x13" pan). 
  2. Prep marshmallow fluff if making from scratch.
  3. Let cake(s) cool. Top each layer with fluff, graham cracker crumples, and chocolate drizzle (optional).
Note: If you have an electric pellet smoker, you could bake your cake(s) on it to add the smoky flavor of a s'more.

No comments:

Post a Comment