- 1 pound dried black beans, picked over and rinsed.
- water to soak
- 1 or 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 or 2 medium bell peppers (I used red)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- a dash of cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon of hot sauce
- 1 jar of prepared salsa (use a kind you like green or red), or 2 cups home made salsa
- broth- chicken or vegetable to cover soaked beans
All you need to do is pick over the beans for small stones or any other foreign matter, rinse them and soak in about four times the volume of water to beans for about eight hours. Once the beans are soaked, drain them and put them in the pot with the other ingredients. Cover the lot with the broth- the beans will soak up a lot of the liquid as they continue to soften and cook. Set the pot to high for about four hours or low for eight.