Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Multi-Grain Pretzel Dogs

Mutli-grain Pretzel Dog

I LOVE soft pretzels (they are one of my favorite foods), so when the hubby told me that I should try to make "pig's in a blanket but with pretzel dough" he didn't need to ask twice. I looked at all my soft pretzel recipes and picked one that I thought would work. Then I just jumped in head first (I generally don't fight my creative urges when it comes to cooking). I was glad that I did because these were DELISH! The kids loved them and we did, too. They are better than hot dogs in a bun and you could do a lot of playing around with dipping sauces, such as cheese, queso, ketchup, mustard, or chili. They take less than an hour to make and I think I may attempt freezing them (like their store-bought cousins by Super Pretzel but cheaper and hopefully better).
  • 1 1/4 cups warm water
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup oat flour
  • 1/2 barley flour (a lady at our church grinds her own barley and wheat flours, and she shared)
  • 1/2 cup wheat flour
  • 2 1/2 cups AP flour
  • 18-20 bun length hot dogs (I did 18 but the dough was a little thick on a few of them)
Dipping solution
  • 1/2 cup baking soda, into
  • 3 cups hot water
Toppings
  • kosher salt
  • garlic powder
  • melted butter, for brushing after baking (I didn't do this)
Directions:
pretzel dog sitting on the baking sheet after dipping
  1. Dissolve yeast into warm water.
  2. Add sugar, flour, and mix well (until thoroughly combined but not necessarily "kneaded")
  3. Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
  4. Divide into 18-20 equal portions. Roll into long ropes (18"-20" or so).
  5. Wrap dough ropes around hot dogs, pinching the ends of the dough together, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
  6. Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with salt and garlic powder.
  7. Bake at 500°F for 5 minutes until golden brown.
  8. Enjoy along with some cheese or queso sauce.
Multi-grain pretzel dogs with queso dipping sauce, carrot stick, and red grapes
(forgot to take a picture before I polished off my grapes).

No comments:

Post a Comment