Friday, September 25, 2009

Crockpot Supper

I decided to make an "All Crockpot" meal last night (except dessert, but only because I ran out of crockpots). It only took me 30 minutes to prepare and then was done when the hubby came home. It made getting supper ready (which usually happens just when the kiddos are waking up from naps) much less stressful. Here are the dishes that I made:
  • Pot Roast - I followed the recipe almost completely, just added some cornstarch at the end to thicken up the gravy a bit more (1.5 tablespoons cornstarch + 2 tablespoons water).

  • Crock Pot Glazed Carrots - These are the changes that I made:
    1 lb baby carrots, whole
    1/4 c packed brown sugar
    2 Tbsp butter
    3 Tbsp water
    pinch of salt
    dash of pepper

    Pour all ingredients into your crockpot and stir. Add lid and cook on high for 4 hours. Turn down to low and cook 1 hour. Stir carrots once every hour and cook for a total time of 5 hours.

  • Slow Cooker Mashed Potatoes - The only change that I made to this recipe was adding a couple more tablespoons of water.
    Hints:
    -Cut potatoes into smaller chunks (no more than 1/2" cubes) so more of them rest in the water/butter mix.
    -Stir the potatoes once every 45-60 minutes.

  • Slow Cooker Apple Crisp - This is the recipe that I was going to make for dessert, but I only have 3 crockpots (I know that you can add the veggies/potatoes to the roast, but I prefer the flavor of my veggies separately). Instead, I made Pear Crisp in 6 oz. ramekins. Here is the recipe:
    4 pears, peeled and chopped (about 2 3/4 cups)
    1 tablespoon white sugar
    2 teaspoons lemon juice
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/3 cup brown sugar
    3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    4 tablespoons quick cooking oats
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon, divided
    3 tablespoons cold butter

    Toss pears with white sugar, lemon juice, ginger, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Divide the fruit between four 6-oz. ramekins or custard cups coated with nonstick cooking spray. In a bowl, combine the brown sugar, flour, oats and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon; cut in butter until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over fruit. Bake at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm topped with one scoop vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment