Monday, September 21, 2009

Homemade Pizza

I love homemade pizza and make it frequently. I have made up a couple recipes of my own and have adapted a few favorites from allrecipes.com. We made pizzas (sausage, mushroom, and black olives) for supper last night so I thought that I should share these recipes:

Pizza Sauce - I made a few changes to this recipe, but not because I didn't like the flavor. I used 10 medium tomatoes (pureed in the blender) instead of the tomato paste and water because I had fresh tomatoes thanks to my in laws' garden. I also used fresh basil, parsley, and oregano, and left out the marjoram and anchovy paste because I didn't have either on hand. I also cooked the sauce (because of using the fresh tomatoes), letting it simmer and thicken like you would for a spaghetti-type sauce. The sauce tasted quite spicy in the pot but is just perfect once you get it on the pizza with all the other toppings.

Homemade Pizza Dough - I have tried several different pizza dough recipes and come up with one of my own. The crust has a crunchier exterior with a chewier interior and it's pretty fast for from-scratch. Also, it is a hand-tossed style crust recipe. You can also make mini pizzas using English muffins or even Biscuit Dough.

Chicken Alfredo Supreme Pizza - This is a pizza recipe that I created. Our family loves it and most people who have made or eaten it tell me that it's really good.

Pizza on the Grill - I would suggest reading the review of this recipe by MrsZerb77 on Aug. 19, 2005. Also, I skipped the tomato sauce and made a pesto sauce (just fresh herbs, garlic, olive oil, and salt). Then we topped it with chicken, bacon, sliced black olives, and chopped green onions.

Veggie Pizza - Fresh pesto is used instead of pizza sauce, fresh garden veggies instead of meat, and topped off with feta, mozzarella, and Parmesan.

Tortilla Pizza - a perfect use for leftover pizza sauce and tortillas. It's a perfect snack or meal to make with the help of your kids.

BBQ Chicken (top) and
Philly Cheesesteak Stuffed Crust (bottom) pizzas
BBQ Chicken Pizza - I cook up some spice-rubbed chicken breast (I use my BBQ Pork spice rub) and shred it. Then I mix some prepared BBQ and pizza sauces together (about a 2:1 ratio). I top the pizza with the sauce, chicken, onion, peppers, black olives and pizza blend cheese.

Stuffed Crust Pizza - roll out your pizza dough about 4" wider than you normally would. Then cut 8-10 string cheese sticks in half and place them around the outside of the pizza (about 2" from the edge). Last, fold the dough over the string cheese and press it into itself till the cheese is fully enclosed.Top with sauce, cheese, and any other toppings. Bake as usual.

Philly Cheesesteak Pizza - this is not authentic "cheesesteak" but it is delicious!

Caprese Pizza - a combination of ooey-gooey mozzarella cheese, sweet tomatoes, and fresh basil. This is definitely an example of gourmet pizza at it's finest (and simplest).

Biscuit Dough Personal Pizza - An easy and interactive idea for personal pizzas with the kids.

Homemade Frozen Pizzas - These are really handy to keep on hand extra busy nights. I use my dough and sauce recipes (above) but follow the instructions for freezing the pizzas from the Skinny Mom's Kitchen.

Pepperoni and Sausage Flatbread Pizza - a delicious, grilled, crispy thin crust pizza reminiscent of a stone-fired pizza.

No comments:

Post a Comment