Monday, February 8, 2010

Bratwurst Stew

I happened to catch a small segment of an Emeril show the other day and he was making a bratwurst stew (homemade sausage was the show's theme that day). I decided that it looked so delicious that I would try it. I got some Johnsonville brats for a really low price considering it's winter and they're brand name, but haven't had any luck finding the recipe for Emeril's version online. I made this a couple of weeks ago and finally am updating the recipe here. I did not add the flour and milk when I made this but wish I would have. I am just guessing on the amounts for both, so play around with it. Or, if you like more of a thin soup/broth consistency don't add the milk/flour mix at all.
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 medium onion, cut into strips
  • 1 red pepper, julienned
  • 8-10 (salad-sized) baby red potatoes, cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 4 carrots, julienned and then cut into 1" lengths
  • 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
  • 4 Johnsonville brats (leftover grilled ones), cut into bite-sized pieces
  • 3 cups beef stock (Emeril's recipe used beer, but we don't buy/use alcohol so I'm substituting beef stock)
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground thyme
  • 1/4 to 1/2 cup milk
  • 1-2 tablespoons flour
Directions:
  1. In a large soup pot, cook onions and potatoes until onions are tender and translucent (5-8 minutes). Add peppers, garlic, and carrots, cook another 5-7 minutes.
  2. Add brats, beef stock, and seasonings. Cook until potatoes are fork tender.
  3. In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together milk and flour until smooth; add to soup. Stir until thickened, like a stew.
I served this with some homemade fluffy biscuits, and you can add soda crackers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment