Wednesday, February 6, 2013

[Gluten Free] Chocolate Zucchini Cake

After finding out a few months ago that our Pastor's wife can't have gluten, I have been experimenting with some gluten free recipes. I am a huge fan of cakes, breads, and pretty much anything else "gluten" so I truly feel bad for those who can't have it. Today I decided to attempt my own recipe for GF chocolate cake and it turned out very well if I do say so myself. :o) It actually looked like a regular ol' chocolate cake and tasted delicious. I think that this would also make a good muffin/cupcake recipe...but I'll have to attempt that later.
  • 3 1/2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup special dark cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 - 6 oz container greek yogurt (I used pineapple)
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 1 1/2 cups white sugar
  • 2 cups grated zucchini
  • 1/2 cup crushed pineapple
Directions
  1. Grease a 9x13 pans. Combine oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, cocoa powder and cinnamon together in a food processor or blender.
  2. Add eggs, oil, yogurt, sugar, pineapple, and zucchini and continue pulsing until combined. Pour batter into prepared pans. Let rest 30 minutes before baking, so preheat the oven to 350° while your waiting. 
  3. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack before frosting.
Dark Chocolate Frosting
  • 3 tablespoons special dark cocoa powder 
  • 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
  • 1/4 cup butter
  • 2 cups confectioners' sugar
  • 1/4 cup regular, soy, coconut, almond, or rice milk 
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract 
Combine all the ingredients with a mixer until smooth. Frost and enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment