Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Red Velvet Brownies

This was our version for "Dinner at 8pm"
and I also did a smaller version of this for the kids' dessert

I saw an idea on Pinterest the other day and decided that I HAD to try it for Valentine's Day. It was a recipe for Red Velvet Brownies. There were a couple of reasons that I wanted to try it. One, they're red, which worked perfectly for V-Day, and two, I had gotten 3 boxes of red velvet cake mix for $ .65/each (store sale + doubled coupons). I decided to make two pans and cut them into heart shapes using a couple of different sized cookie cutters. We used some for the kids' dessert, we took some to our neighbors, and then we had some for our "Dinner at 8pm" date. They were quite yummy and I've listed the recipe below with my changes.

Of course, we enjoyed our dessert accompanied
by a hot skinny caramel latte
  • 1 box Red Velvet Cake Mix 
  • 1/2 cup melted butter 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cold coffee
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
Directions
  1. Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl but don't over mix. Pour into a greased 9x13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25.
  2. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Then cut into heart shapes, top with whipped cream (I whipped my own and it was delicious) and drizzle with melted chocolate.
For the whipped cream:
Pour 1 pint of heavy whipping cream into a mixing bowl. Start mixing on low and slowly increase the speed as the cream begins to thicken. Add 2 teaspoons vanilla, 1 tablespoon powdered sugar, and continue mixing until thoroughly combined.

No comments:

Post a Comment