Sunday, August 18, 2013

Homemade Corndogs for the Birthday Girl

Miss A requested corndogs for her birthday lunch and I already had hot dogs on hand that I'd purchased when they were super cheap with coupons this summer. So off I went in search of a homemade corndog recipe that looked quick and easy. I found such a recipe at Out of the Box Food. I did tweak the recipe based on what items were in my cupboard and they turned out just great! The best thing about these corndogs is that they are freezer friendly. :) I made up a big batch (15 of them, although I would have had enough batter for a 16th) so that I could pop a few in the freezer for consumption at a later date. It only took Mr. R and I about 45 minutes from start to finish.
  • 1 1/4 cups corn meal
  • 3/4 cup AP flour, plus 1/3 cup for dredging
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp kosher salt
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 cup milk (I used 2%, but you could probably use whatever you had on hand)
  • 12-16 hot dogs
  • 12-16 wood skewers (I only had my metal grilling skewers on hand so I used those and we pulled the skewers out before serving)
  • 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
  • large pot (preferably wide and deep, I used my deep 14" cast iron skillet) 
  • fry thermometer
  • quart jar w/ lid
Directions

  1. Preheat 1-2″ oil in large pot to 375 degrees. Dredge hot dogs in 1/3 cup flour. Shake any excess flour off. Skewer and set aside.
  2. Place cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt into the quart jar. Secure lid and shake until ingredients are combined.
  3. In a small bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and honey. Add to jar, shake again until mixed thoroughly. Open jar and give batter a few stirs with a spoon to make sure all ingredients are incorporated.
  4. Dip hot dogs into jar to coat with batter making sure all parts of floured hot dog are coated. Let excess batter drip off.
  5. Place corn dog in 375 degree oil and cook until golden brown (3-5 minutes). You may have to rotate the corndog halfway through frying if the entire dog is not submerged.
  6. Remove to paper towel lined plate.
  7. Enjoy with some mustard and/or ketchup. :)
Makes 12-16 corn dogs

The following freezer directions were taken directly from Outside the Box Food.

To Freeze:  Let corn dogs come to room temperature, then place in plastic freezer bag and freeze.
Corn dogs can remain in freezer for up to 3 months.

To Reheat:  Preheat oven or toaster oven to 350 degrees. Bake corn dogs for 10-15 minutes, turning occasionally.

Mr. R made a video of the process to show Grandma exactly how we make corndogs. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment