Friday, May 6, 2011

[Crockpot] Sloppy Joes

Simmering away in the Packer crockpot
that belonged to the hubby's grandma. :o)
While working on the menu for next week I realized that I have never officially posted my recipe for Sloppy Joes. I've listed it in with menus before but decided that it needed to have it's own post. This was my Grandmother's recipe with a couple of extras from me. It is very quick and easy to make with ingredients that I keep around the house. You can also toss it all in the crockpot to simmer away.
  • 1 lb. ground beef, chicken, turkey or venison (I bulk up my ground meats with all kinds of veggies, brown it, and then freeze it for use in chili, tacos, casseroles, sloppy joes, etc. It's a great time save.*)
  • 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I chop up peppers - from my garden during the summer or from the store when they're on sale for rock bottom prices - and toss them in the freezer)
  • 1/2 cup diced onion
  • 1/2 cup tomato sauce, ketchup, or even 1/2 can of condensed tomato soup
  • 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (I prefer any flavor of Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • 1 tablespoons honey (optional if using Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional if using Sweet Baby Ray's)
  • salt and pepper to taste (you can also add other seasoning i.e. cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, etc.)
  • 6-8 cheese slices
  • 6-8 buns/rolls
Directions
  1. In a large saute pan, brown the beef, season with salt and pepper while browning. When beef is 1/2 cooked add onions and peppers. Finish cooking, then drain fat off.
  2. Return to pan and add everything but the cheese and buns. You can also brown the meat and throw everything in the crockpot to simmer. I do this in the morning before the kids get up (for cooking on low) or during naptime (for cooking on high).
  3. Simmer for 10 minutes or so, then serve.
*If you bulk up your ground meat, brown it, and then freeze; you can put all the ingredients in a slow cooker to simmer away all day. Saving you precious time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment