|Simmering away in the Packer crockpot |
that belonged to the hubby's grandma. :o)
- 1 lb. ground beef, chicken, turkey or venison (I bulk up my ground meats with all kinds of veggies, brown it, and then freeze it for use in chili, tacos, casseroles, sloppy joes, etc. It's a great time save.*)
- 1/2 cup chopped bell pepper (I chop up peppers - from my garden during the summer or from the store when they're on sale for rock bottom prices - and toss them in the freezer)
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce, ketchup, or even 1/2 can of condensed tomato soup
- 3/4 cup BBQ sauce (I prefer any flavor of Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 1 tablespoons honey (optional if using Sweet Baby Ray's)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (optional if using Sweet Baby Ray's)
- salt and pepper to taste (you can also add other seasoning i.e. cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, etc.)
- 6-8 cheese slices
- 6-8 buns/rolls
- In a large saute pan, brown the beef, season with salt and pepper while browning. When beef is 1/2 cooked add onions and peppers. Finish cooking, then drain fat off.
- Return to pan and add everything but the cheese and buns. You can also brown the meat and throw everything in the crockpot to simmer. I do this in the morning before the kids get up (for cooking on low) or during naptime (for cooking on high).
- Simmer for 10 minutes or so, then serve.