Saturday, September 29, 2012

Caprese Chicken with Balsamic Reduction

I saw this recipe on Pinterest by add a pinch for Caprese Grilled Chicken with Balsamic Reduction and immediately thought of using for one of my "Dinner at 8pm" projects. I was practically drooling looking at the pictures from the original recipe. Let me tell you, I was not disappointed when I made it! It was phenomenal! The salty Chicken, gooey cheese, fruity tomato, and zingy vinegar flavors melded together with a beautiful overtone of fresh basil to create a flavor that is out of this world. We thoroughly enjoyed it and I was pleased at how quickly the dish came together. Granted, I made a couple of changes since I forgot to grab charcoal when I was at the store. I totally blame it on "mommy brain"!

I used 2 slices of tomato, 4 basil leaves, and
1 1/2 slices of mozzarella per chicken breast
(and yes, I ate the 5th tomato with basil
that is pictured here, yummy!)
  • 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts **(6oz.-8oz. each) pounded to 1/2" thick (you could always use 4 - 4oz breasts if having more people over but since I did it for one of our "date nights in" I went with 2 larger portions)
  • 2 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 small tomato cut into 4 slices, preferably from your own garden, a roadside stand or farmer's market as they actually taste like tomatoes 
  • 3 round 1/4" thick slices fresh mozzarella
  • 4 large or 8 small basil leaves
  • kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
Directions
  1. Heat oil in a stainless steel or cast iron skillet (so you can put the whole pan in the oven), cook chicken for 8-10 minutes each side (till cooked through). As chicken is cooking, pour balsamic vinegar into sauce pan or skillet and cook until reduced by half. Add in butter and stir with a flat whisk until completely combined. Set aside.
  2. Top chicken with 2 mozzarella slices, 2-4 basil leaves, and 2 tomato slices each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes till cheese is nicely melted.
  3. Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.
**I bought a large family pack of chicken a few weeks before this and stuck two of the breasts in a freezer bag with 1/4 cup Zesty Italian dressing. That way the chicken would marinate in the dressing as it froze and also as it thawed, giving it some extra flavor.
Topped and ready to head under the broiler.
Simmering and just about ready for the butter :o)

No comments:

Post a Comment