|I used 2 slices of tomato, 4 basil leaves, and |
1 1/2 slices of mozzarella per chicken breast
(and yes, I ate the 5th tomato with basil
that is pictured here, yummy!)
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts **(6oz.-8oz. each) pounded to 1/2" thick (you could always use 4 - 4oz breasts if having more people over but since I did it for one of our "date nights in" I went with 2 larger portions)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small tomato cut into 4 slices, preferably from your own garden, a roadside stand or farmer's market as they actually taste like tomatoes
- 3 round 1/4" thick slices fresh mozzarella
- 4 large or 8 small basil leaves
- kosher salt and fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Heat oil in a stainless steel or cast iron skillet (so you can put the whole pan in the oven), cook chicken for 8-10 minutes each side (till cooked through). As chicken is cooking, pour balsamic vinegar into sauce pan or skillet and cook until reduced by half. Add in butter and stir with a flat whisk until completely combined. Set aside.
- Top chicken with 2 mozzarella slices, 2-4 basil leaves, and 2 tomato slices each. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place under the broiler for 5 minutes till cheese is nicely melted.
- Drizzle with balsamic reduction and serve.
|Topped and ready to head under the broiler.|
|Simmering and just about ready for the butter :o)|