|Topped with cheddar cheese, light sour cream, and salsa.|
- 1 1/2 cups dry black beans (or 2 cans of black beans, rinsed)
- 4 links Johnsonville Apple Chicken Sausage (really any smoked sausage I just used these because it's healthier and I had some on hand)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 stalks large celery
- 3 medium carrots
- 1 medium onions
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 a large green bell pepper
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3 cubes beef bouillon
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 1/5 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 1/5 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon jalapeno hot sauce
- In a large saucepan, prepare dry beans according to package directions (soak + rinse + cook).
- While your bean cook, chop all your veggies into small chunks (larger than minced but not as big as a rough chop). Saute them in a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Slice your sausage links in half, then cut them into 3/8" thick chunks.
- Once your beans are cooked, drain and set them aside. Place water, bouillon, seasonings, and half the beans into the saucepan. Using an immersion blender, "combine" the ingredients. Or if you don't own an immersion blender you can throw the above mentioned ingredients in a blender or food processor to combine before placing in the saucepan.
- Add sauteed veggies and sausage to the pot. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- Top with sour cream, cheese, salsa, tortilla chips, etc. and enjoy with a side of cornbread!
|Each 1 cup serving is roughly 125 calories and loaded with fiber, |
just in case you're trying to get in shape like we are. :o)