Thursday, September 26, 2013

Grilled Flatbread: A blank canvas

I've been wanting to learn how to make flatbread for a long time. I made all sorts of different breads and rolls from Naan to crescent rolls, but never had the courage to try my hand at flatbread. But with our oven on the fritz and the budgeted funds for groceries being too small to buy flatbread I decided that it was time to try my hand at it. I wasn't disappointed. This is such a good, solid yummy recipe that I have found several more ways to serve it than for just a sandwich!

  • 2 2/3 cups AP flour + 1/4 cup for rolling the dough out
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons honey or 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoona olive oil, coconut oil, or butter
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions
  1. Add oil, flour, and salt, in that order. Turn on your mixer/processor and leave it on until dough forms a nice ball. I usually let my stand mixer do all the kneading but if you'd rather do it yourself then turn it on to a large cutting board and knead with the heel of your hand until the dough is smooth and elastic. 
  2. In a food processor or stand mixer using a dough hook/blade, combine yeast, water, and honey, let it proof (rest) for 5-10 minutes.
  3. Coat a bowl with oil. Place dough in bowl, and cover with a damp cloth. Put in a warm spot to rise until double in size, about 1 hour. 
  4. When the dough has finished rising, punch the dough, scrape it onto a floured surface and knead it lightly into a smooth ball. Cut into 12-16 pieces (for individual sandwich sized) or 3 pieces (for pizza) and roll it out very thin with a rolling pin roll (6"-8" circles/rectangles for sandwiches and 12"x20" rectangles for pizza). 
    Flatbread on the grill
  5. Preheat a stove top grill pan, griddle (I have a griddle that flips over to be a grill pan and it works really well), or grill* over medium high. Do not oil. Place bread on hot grill and cook without touching it until you see bubbles on the surface, about 1 to 2 minutes. Turn and continue to cook 1 to 2 minutes more or until bread has puffed up. *Note* If you are doing the flatbread for pizza, I would use the grill to cook the dough, but if you are using it for sandwiches the grill pan/griddle is my preferred method of cooking.
  6. Serve immediately or cover with a tea towel till cool. Store leftoever (cooled) flatbread in a ziploc bag in the fridge.

* Grilling Instructions*
I prefer to create a little bit of space between the dough and my grilling surface. I stack all 3 of my cooling racks on top of each other and place it on the grill. Then I cook my flatbread on top of the cooling racks. You only need to leave the flatbread for a minute or so each side, but you do need to watch it carefully. I use a set of tongs to flip my bread.
Now there are LOTS of things you can do with flatbread. You can make variations on flavor by adding seasonings or substituting different flours for some of the AP flour, I've used half wheat flour and a quarter barley flour thus far and it makes for a delicious bread.

Garlic Herb Flatbread - follow the instructions for plain flatbread just add all the herbs and spices when you add the flour.
Rosemary garlic flatbread on my "grill pan"
  • 2 2/3 cups AP flour + 1/4 cup for rolling the dough out
  • 1 tablespoon yeast
  • 1 cup warm water
  • 2 teaspoons honey or 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 1-2 tablespoona olive oil, coconut oil, or butter
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
    Finishing up on the other side
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon dried thyme
  • 1 teaspoon kosher salt
You can also top your flatbread with different things to make some delicious appetizers and main dishes. (Links to each recipe will be coming soon)
  • Flatbread Pizza - I prefer to use the gas grill for this as it gives it the crust a nice crunch.
  • BLT Flatbread [Cold] Pizza - again, I prefer to use the grill for this crust.
    A dozen rosemary garlic flatbreads = Yummy!
  • Sun-dried Tomato Basil and Goat Cheese Flatbread - I like any method for cooking the flatbread
  • Parmesan Potato Flatbread - I like any method for cooking the flatbread
  • Philly Cheesesteak Flatbread Sandwiches - I prefer the grill pan side of my griddle as the flatbread stays softer.
  • Mediterranean Chicken Wraps - I prefer the grill pan side of my grill as the flatbread stays softer

No comments:

Post a Comment