|salted caramel bacon ice cream|
+ 1.5 cups half and half
+ 3/4 cup sugar
Candied Bacon - I got this recipe from Spoon Fork Bacon
+ 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
+ 1 lb bacon, cooked and roughly crumbled/chopped
+ 1/4 cup sugar
+ 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
+ 1/4 cup water
+ 3/4 cup heavy cream
+ 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
+ 1 teaspoon kosher salt
+ Parchment paper
- Start with your candied bacon. Place the butter in a medium sauce pan, over medium heat and melt.
- Add the bacon and stir. Sprinkle both sugars over the bacon and continuously stir until the sugar melts, about 5 to 7 minutes.
- In a single layer, pour the bacon onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and set aside to cool.
- Next, move on to the salted caramel sauce.
- In the same medium saucepan (don't clean it after making the candied bacon as it will add to the flavor of the sauce), combine the sugar and water over medium-low heat until the sugar dissolves. Increase the heat and bring to a boil, without stirring. Boil 5 to 6 minutes.
- Remove the sugar from the heat and SLOWLY whisk in the heavy cream. The mixture will bubble. Stir in the unsalted butter, salt, and vanilla. Transfer the caramel to a dish and cool. [Side note: the salted caramel sauce will keep in the refrigerator up to 2 weeks, just reheat before serving.]
- Now, we can make the ice cream. Whisk all ice cream base ingredients together until sugar dissolves. Pour into the bowl of an ice cream machine. Run according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- When the machine is finished, swirl 3/4 of the caramel and 3/4 of the candied bacon into it. Transfer to an airtight container. Cover tightly and freeze a minimum of 2-3 hours. Keep the extra caramel and bacon in individual lidded tupperware dishes in the fridge and use as toppings when you serve the ice cream.