Monday, January 20, 2014

Mom's Potato Salad


I had never made potato salad before I met Jared and the one batch that I made after we were engaged didn't turn out very well. Now Jared LOVES potato salad, but especially his mom's recipe and my attempt tasted nothing like his mom's. We got married 13 days before his birthday so I decided that I wanted to attempt potato salad again as a special birthday gift to him. I asked his mom for her recipe but she had always just made it "to taste" without a recipe. I knew how badly I'd messed up the first time and that I would need to have a recipe if I was going to be able to keep making potato salad like his mom. Then I had the perfect idea, I would have his mom come over and teach me how to make her recipe, writing down ingredients and measurements as she went, which is how this recipe came to be. I love how creamy and flavorful this recipe is so I hope you enjoy! It does make about an ice cream pail's worth so I have also included a half batch recipe below.
  • 16 potatoes, peeled
  • 10 eggs
  • 1 ¼ cups Miracle Whip
  • 1 cup Mayonnaise
  • 1 ½ tablespoons mustard
  • 2 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 2 teaspoons dried basil
  • ½ cup finely chopped onion
  • 4-6 finely chopped Baby Dill Pickles
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Paprika
Directions
  1. Cut potatoes into bite sized pieces; place in a large pan and fill with enough water to cover them. Cook at medium to medium-high heat. Boil potatoes for 30 minutes or until tender. Rinse in cold water. Place in a large bowl.
  2. Place eggs in a medium saucepan; fill with cold water, enough to cover by 1". Cook at medium heat, boil 10-15 minutes. Drain and place eggs in a bowl with cold water; let rest for about 20 minutes. Peel and chop the eggs.
  3. In a small bowl, combine Miracle Whip, mayonnaise, mustard, parsley, basil, pickles and onions until creamy.
  4. 4. Add eggs and Miracle Whip mix to potatoes. Stir until everything is coated evenly. Salt and pepper to taste. Sprinkle paprika over the top for color.
Half Batch
  • 8 potatoes, peeled
  • 5 eggs
  • 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons Miracle Whip
  • 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
  • 2-3 teaspoons mustard
  • 1 teaspoons dried parsley
  • 1 teaspoons dried basil
  • 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
  • 2-3 finely chopped Baby Dill Pickles
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • Paprika
Follow the directions above.

No comments:

Post a Comment