Tuesday, January 28, 2014

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Day 20

I am reading 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life as part of my goals for 2014 and I'm sharing insights from each day's readings. If you want to catch up on my progress, read previous days: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7, Day 8, Day 9, Day 10, Day 11, Day 12, Day 13, Day 14, Day 15, Day 16, Day 17, Day 18, Day 19.

Day 20: Crystal talks about little jobs (things that can be done in 2 minutes or less) and how we need to just do them instead of writing them down or procrastinating. We could save a lot of time (and mind power) if we would just do these little things instead of repeatedly thinking about and trying to remember to do them. "Each time you clear brain space by getting a trivial task completed and off the list, you're making room for heavy-duty thought processes. Think about all of the problems you could solve, or all the ways you could let your creativity flow if you didn't have a dozen nibbling tasks torturing your brain."
Crystal suggests that you make a list of these tiny tasks each morning when you get up and then do them as quickly as possible. It will help give you some extra motivation and sense of accomplishment.
Practical Application: 1. Set your timer for five minutes and write down as many two-minute tasks as possible. Crystal says there should be at least ten. 2. Set your timer for twenty minutes and then go do all ten of them. I tried this on a smaller scale, mostly because it seems that every time I set my timer for a project one of the kids interrupts at about the five minute mark. I picked 5 small projects and gave myself ten minutes to complete them. I even finished them without interruption. :)

Mega Project Progress: Crystal talks about using the two minute idea at the beginning of your next big project. Start the project by writing down as many of the two minute steps as you can and then doing them right away. As far as my progress, I had three more items added to my mending basket and finished 2 of them. I still have 7 more to finish, which I won't finish before the end of this challenge. I am glad to say that I am much closer to finishing my goal because of this challenge than I was when I started it. :)

General Progress: I got my workout in and had my kitchen clean by bedtime. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment