Monday, January 13, 2014

21 Days to a More Disciplined Life: Day 12

I am reading 21 Days to a More Disciplined Life as part of my goals for 2014 and I'm sharing insights from each day's readings. If you want to catch up on my progress, read previous days: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, Day 7, Day 8, Day 9, Day 10, Day 11.

Day 12:
I didn't like today's reading. However, it was what I needed to hear - discipline demands FOCUS. "You'll never hit the bull's-eye if you're aiming at multiple targets." That statement hurt a little hearing it, but it's very true. I don't get very far on anything when I'm trying to work on several things at a time. I have really hard time staying focused (and I think a lot of moms feel this way, too). Crystal gives some really good common sense advice. 1. Remove distractions, i.e. if you're trying to lose weight don't keep baking brownies (yes, I do this and know that I shouldn't), if you're trying to accomplish a task evaluate where you're using your time (Facebook, twitter, reading instead of doing your task, etc.). 2. Focus in on the task at hand. She suggests using a timer and practicing stay focused (start with 5 minute increments). I will interject that every time I have tried doing this I get interrupted about 10 seconds into it by a small child in need of immediate attention. I think they can sense that I've started the timer. Now, I have decided to give it a try and see if I will do better this time around.
Practical Application: Consider what's distracting you from staying focused on your goal. How can you remove these distractions? Ask your accountability partner to keep you accountable. I am going to admit it, I spend more time mindlessly browsing the internet or checking Facebook than I should. I get distracted and then realize that I've wasted a good chunk of time. I am thinking about starting a timer when I am on my computer so that I realize how much time I am using.

Mega Project Progress: Today I went through and pitched a few more items that just weren't fixable. There are some items that I have no idea why I kept them they were so worn and in disrepair.

General Progress: I really didn't want to clean my kitchen before bed tonight. After being at church more of the day than at home, I just wanted to plop into a chair and read. But, I stuck with it and it really only took me 20 minutes. :) I am realizing that my mindset is changing in other areas and I am more willing to work at decluttering jobs than I used to be. I don't feel as emotionally attached to stuff now. I plan to wake up early tomorrow and workout, so please, check up on me.

1 comment:

  1. The information you shared through your post is functional. I admire your work. Wish you all the luck for all your blogging efforts.

    ReplyDelete